4 – Point Home Inspections are sometimes required by mortgage lenders and insurance providers to protect their interests in the loan transaction and to assure that the dwelling is in livable condition. This inspection covers the four main systems of a home: Roof coverings, Electrical, Plumbing, and Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC). These inspections are not as thorough as a full home inspection, and are the bare minimum of inspections.
What features are inspected?
- The overall condition, construction details and age of the roofing system.
- The type of wiring and condition of the electrical system.
- The type of pipe and the overall condition of the plumbing system.
- The type, age and condition of the HVAC system.
- Current operating conditions
Scheduled maintenance requirements
Expected service life
There are other types of specialized programs that are similar in nature to this type of inspection and may exist in specific markets. For example, some states require low income buyers to obtain an inspection of a home prior to purchase to obtain a lower interest loan.